Your Final Steps
As you near the end of your time as a graduate student or postdoc, the Career Center hopes you will take advantage of the various resources that can help you prepare for your next professional endeavor. Whether it's a full-time job, academic research, or a teaching track, the recommendations below will help you confidently reach your next destination.
Some essentials to prepare for an interview:
- Know the employer: what they do, what they care about, challenges you can help them solve.
- Articulate your case in a summary of your most relevant strengths for the job, with an example of how you have demonstrated each.
- Express why you want to work specifically with their organization.
- Anticipate behavioral questions (“Tell us a time when you managed x challenge”) by knowing when and how you have solved multiple types of challenges.
- Practice ahead. For virtual interviews, pre-check equipment and reception, eliminate background distractions, and make sure your face is well lit and centered. Look at the camera to show direct eye contact.
- Prepare well; then enjoy the conversation: you and they are simply exploring the match.
Prioritizing Self Care
School can be a lot of stress and pressure, which is why prioritizing self-care is crucial to your success. Review the
variety of FREE resources available to you at the U of U!