Your Final Steps
As you near the end of your time as a graduate student or postdoc, the Career Center hopes you will take advantage of the various resources that can help you prepare for your next professional endeavor. Whether it's a full-time job, academic research, or a teaching track, the recommendations below will help you confidently reach your next destination.
1. Target Your
Ensure your documents align with
the job description, so your application stands out.
2. Apply for
You can apply 6 months ahead of time. Check employer’s website to ensure posting is active.
3. Interact With
Be ready to converse with
employers at events by having an “Elevator Pitch".
Some essentials to prepare for an interview:
- Know the employer: what they do, what they care about, challenges you can help them solve.
- Articulate your case in a summary of your most relevant strengths for the job, with an example of how you have demonstrated each.
- Express why you want to work specifically with their organization.
- Anticipate behavioral questions (“Tell us a time when you managed x challenge”) by knowing when and how you have solved multiple types of challenges.
- Practice ahead. For virtual interviews, pre-check equipment and reception, eliminate background distractions, and make sure your face is well lit and centered. Look at the camera to show direct eye contact.
- Prepare well; then enjoy the conversation: you and they are simply exploring the match.
Prioritizing Self Care
School can be a lot of stress and pressure, which is why prioritizing self-care is crucial to your success. Review the
variety of FREE resources available to you at the U of U!