Welcome to the Postdoc Resource Hub!
In this hub, we have career resources to support your professional goals, whether they are in academia or beyond! We strongly encourage developing skills for either path, since most people will end up working with industry (government entities, business, nonprofits) in some capacity.
Meet Your Career Coach
Your Career Coach can consult with you on every step of your career journey. Currently, there are just four appointment types available in the scheduler, however, you may indicate the specific topic you would like to cover in the "Help Requested" box.
Specific topics include:
Career Fair Prep | Cover Letter | Interview Prep | Interview Practice | LinkedIn Profile Review | Negotiating & Considering Offers | Networking Tips & Strategies
Handshake: Your Resource Platform
Job & Internship Search
Log-in to Handshake today to explore career options and connect with employers. We particularly recommend using CareerShift (in Handshake’s Career Center > Resources), as it provides comprehensive searches for advanced-degree and experienced postings.
- Jobs: this tab on the landing page features opportunities posted by employers specifically for University of Utah community members.
- CareerShift: a powerful job-search engine we subscribe to for you.
- Interstride: platform designed for international job-seekers. An interactive portal to support you in your global job search, immigration journey, and community building.
An IDP helps you clarify your strengths, identify resources, and plan a successful professional transition.
- Assess your skills, interests, and values
- Explore career paths
- Intentionally plan how to achieve your professional goals, setting SMART Goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-Based), and keep your plan updated
- Facilitate constructive conversations with your mentors about your plan, as it evolves
The tools below are all free, self-contained, and comprehensive in guiding you through the planning process:
- IDP for Postdocs (Stanford)
- myIDP for STEM
- Imagine PhD for Humanities & Social Science
Identifying and learning to articulate your strengths is not only a confidence builder, but it is also an important step to improving your interview answers and job application materials!
We don't always take the time to deeply reflect on our experiences and what they taught us. Often there are strengths hiding in what may seem like the most mundane experiences.
Utilize our Log Your Strengths worksheet to start brainstorming on your own and make an appointment with your Career Coach to find more support!
Networking is still the #1 way to find a job! Seek conversations with professionals inside and outside your industry - you never know how they may help you in the future. Get started identifying your current network and growing your network with the resources below:
Academic Career Materials
Gaining funding for your research is absolutely essential, but you may not have specific knowledge of the process or the skills involved. Below are resources to help you feel confident communicating your research goals and needs in grant applications.
- U of U Grant Specialist: Jessie Morris
- General Grant Writing Classes
- Grant Writing Classes by Agency
Prioritizing Self Care
Postdoc life can be a lot of stress and pressure, which is why prioritizing self-care is crucial to your success. Review the variety of FREE resources available to you at the U of U!