Receiving an Offer
What Do I Do When I Get an Offer?
- Say thank you, with enthusiasm and add that you are delighted to consider their offer!
- Give yourself time to research benefits/salaries and weigh other options
- Ask for the offer in writing
- Ask when the employer needs your decision
- Give the employer your decision before the deadline you’ve been given or – last resort
– request an extension on the deadline for responding to the offer
- Stay in communication with the employer as long as you’re considering the offer
Know the Lingo
- Commission - remuneration for services rendered or products sold often calculated on the basis of a percentage
- PTO - Paid Time Off
- 401k - a pension plan provided by your employer
- Company Match - employer’s potential payment to an employee’s 401(k) plan dependent on the extent of an employee’s participation in the plan
- Signing Bonus - a sum of money paid to a new employee by a company as an incentive to join that company