Need someone to look over your materials?
We also offer coaching appointments through email, online video calls, or phone.
We offer alternative hours: M-F: 7am-8am | 5pm-6pm | Email a coach to set-up one of these alternative appointments.
Benefits of Utilizing the CPDC
- Our goal is to SUPPORT, INSPIRE, & PREPARE you to make your vision a reality.
- Because thinking about your career is scary and everyone needs someone who has their back- every step of the way.
- Your identity matters. At the Career & Professional Development Center, you can be your authentic self.
- Students who engage in Career Development from beginning to end are 80% more likely to have accepted a position upon graduation.
- We’ve Got U!
- Discover & explore your options in regards to career and graduate school.
- Polish up your resume & cover letter by stopping by quick-help (8am-5pm M-F during the fall and spring semesters; 10am-3pm T-Th during the summer).
- Practice and perfect your interviewing skills-Utilize Standout, a great mock interview tool.
- Utilize successful job & internship search strategies-Utilize Handshake, our job and internship search resource.
- Reflect on your strengths, interests, skills, and experiences- utilizing 1.) Focus 2, where you can learn more about your skills and preferences, 2.) Virtual Job Shadow, where you can watch video informational interviews of professionals in a variety of industries to explore different career options, and 3.) Participate in a Strengths workshop to better understand your strengths and how you can apply those to your life.
- Create a personalized action plan for your professional development.
The Career & Professional Development Center is a collaborative and inclusive team dedicated to developing students and alumni professionally and personally by supporting, inspiring, and preparing students and alumni to make their vision a reality.
- Innovation & Progress
- In the Career & Professional Development Center, we never settle. We know career exploration and professional development can be challenging, so we focus on identifying and developing creative, forward-thinking solutions to assist students and alumni in this process. We strive to stay abreast of best practices and implement new ideas that fit the rapidly evolving landscape of career development and employer recruitment.
- Diversity & Inclusion
- We believe that every person has value. Everyone’s voice deserves to be heard. The Career & Professional Development Center seeks to provide an environment that is inclusive, accessible, equitable, welcoming, and comfortable to members of all communities.
- It's in everything we do. Whether we are working with students, employers, alumni, or university faculty and staff, we are transparent, honest, and ethical.
- Personal & Professional Development
- We are committed to developing our team and everyone we interact with personally and professionally. We continuously strive to develop skilled and experienced professionals within our own staff to be the best Center we can be. Additionally, we help our students and alumni refine their skills, knowledge, abilities, and attitudes, so they can become the best version of their professional selves.
- We’re in this together! The Career & Professional Development Center aims to foster a career-minded culture on campus by working with students, academic partners, employers, and alumni. We take a collaborative approach in facilitating connections, maximizing resources, and helping individuals realize their personal and professional success.
- We strive for the utmost quality—not only in results, but in the process of getting there. We go above and beyond to best serve our stakeholders.
- We believe that all individuals have the agency to accomplish their goals, and we are here to support and encourage them along the way. As a team, we empower one another to improve in our day-to-day work. As coaches, we empower students and alumni to discover and achieve their goals. As a center, we empower our academic partners to have career-oriented conversations early. As a premier recruiting destination, we empower employers to build their dream team and realize their recruiting goals.
When a student fails to show up for a scheduled appointment, it negatively impacts their fellow students’ access to the University’s Career & Professional Development Center appointment schedule. A no-show is considered any appointment in which a student fails to attend (via in person, phone or skype) without contacting (via email or phone) the Career & Professional Development Center to cancel (up to the start of the appointment time). Due to the amount of appointment requests career coaches receive, a limited number appointments available each week, and an increasing demand for new appointment times, when students do not show for an appointment, it may prevent a student from utilizing the Career & Professional Development Center at that same time. We understand that students’ lives are hectic, thus we have outlined a policy that allows for clear expectations. Please note, that every student should receive an email first to check –in then to explain our policy, before we put a hold on a student’s account.
If you do not show for a scheduled appointment with a Career Coach without informing the Career & Professional Development Center you were unable to make your appointment prior to the start of your appointment time, you will receive an e-mail from your career coach informing you that you have missed a scheduled appointment, and informing you of our policy should you miss a second appointment.
If you do not show up for your second consecutive scheduled appointment with a Career Coach without informing the Career & Professional Development Center you were unable to make your appointment prior to the start of your appointment time, you will receive an e-mail from your career coach informing you that you have missed your second scheduled appointment, and informing you of our policy should you miss a third appointment.
Third No-Show/Subsequent No-Show in same academic year
If you do not show for a scheduled appointment without notifying your Career Coach prior to the start of your appointment time for a third/subsequent time, your ability to schedule appointments will be on hold for the remainder of the academic year. You may still attend Career & Professional Development Center events, programs and use UCareerPath related web resources. In addition, you will still be able to use our Quick Help hours, which are Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm. You can show up any time during Quick Help hours without an appointment and receive quick assistance.
You may appeal your hold if you feel that there were extenuating circumstances that resulted in your no-shows. Acceptable excuses might include a car accident, sudden hospitalization, family emergency, etc. Unacceptable excuses would include last-minute preparation for exams or term papers, getting up late, forgetting, and not being a morning person.
Follow these appeal procedures:
- In order to regain your ability to utilize UCareerpath, you must meet with our Assistant Director for Operations and your Career Coach to discuss your no-shows and request your access be reinstated. Send an email to your career coach and firstname.lastname@example.org to set-up a meeting to explain why you missed your last three appointments. If you have any substantiating documentation (medical excuse, car towing receipt, accident report, etc.), you are encouraged to email that documentation to your career coach and Ella Butler at email@example.com prior to your meeting.
- Appointment times before 8:00am and after 5:00pm are available for students who need more flexibility. Please do not schedule during these times if the off hours do not appeal to you. These appointment times are not considered regular hours and coaches are coming in on their own time to meet with students outside of Career & Professional Development Center office hours. Please be courteous and contact your career coach or the front desk at 801-581-6186 as soon as you know that you cannot make an appointment.
The time allotted for your appointment is to ensure there is sufficient time to assist with your career needs. Arriving more than 15 minutes late for an appointment without calling to notify the Career & Professional Development Center may result in the appointment being forfeited and may be counted as No-Show.
We understand that cancelling appointments ahead of time is what we are asking of you, however, if you cancel your appointment more than 4 times in a row without 24 hours’ notice, we may hold your ability to make appointments with your career coach as this affects our coaches and other students. You will still be able to use our Quick Help hours, which are Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm. You can show up any time during Quick Help hours without an appointment and receive quick assistance.
We understand that re-scheduling appointments ahead of time is what we are asking of you, however, if you re-schedule your appointment more than 4 times in a row without 24 hours’ notice, we may hold your ability to make appointments with your career coach as this affects other student’s abilities to make an appointment. You will still be able to use our Quick Help hours, which are Monday-Friday from 8am to 5pm. You can show up any time during Quick Help hours without an appointment and receive quick assistance.