Common Questions Asked By Employers:
Questions to understand you as a candidate
- Tell me about yourself.
- What are your long and short term goals?
- What do you see yourself doing in 5 years from now?
- What are your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
- How did you decide on your area of study/career field?
- How do you think a co-worker or professor who knows you well would describe you?
- What two or three accomplishments have given you the most satisfaction? Why?
Questions to assess skillset
- How do you work under pressure?
- Describe your work ethic.
- What motivates you to go the extra mile on a project or job?
- Have you ever been a part of a group project that has had difficulties? How were these issues resolved?
- How well do you adapt to new situations?
Questions to assess fit
- What do you know about our organization?
- Why did you decide to seek a position with this company?
- What criteria are you using to evaluate the organizations which you hope to work?
- Why did you leave your last job?
- What qualities do you look for in a supervisor?
- We have many candidates for this position, why should we hire you?
- Do you have any questions for me?
Behavior Based Interview Questions
- Describe a situation in which you were able to use persuasion to successfully convince someone to see things your way.
- Describe a time when you were faced with a stressful situation that demonstrated your coping skills.
- Give me a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem.
- Give me an example of a time when you set a goal and were able to meet or achieve it.
- Tell me about a time when you had to use your presentation skills to influence someone's opinion.
- Give me a specific example of a time when you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree.
- Please discuss an important written document you were required to complete.
- Tell me about a time when you had to go above and beyond the call of duty in order to get a job done.
- Tell me about a time when you had too many things to do and you were required to prioritize your tasks.
- Give me an example of a time when you had to make a split second decision.
- What is your typical way of dealing with conflict? Give me an example.
- Tell me about a time you were able to successfully deal with another person even when that individual may not have personally liked you (or vice versa).
- Tell me about a difficult decision you've made in the last year.
- Give me an example of a time when something you tried to accomplish and failed.
- Give me an example of when you showed initiative and took the lead.
- Tell me about a recent situation in which you had to deal with a very upset customer or co-worker.
- Give me an example of a time when you motivated others.
- Tell me about a time when you delegated a project effectively.
- Give me an example of a time when you used your fact-finding skills to solve a problem.
- Tell me about a time when you missed an obvious solution to a problem.
- Describe a time when you anticipated potential problems and developed preventive measures.
- Tell me about a time when you were forced to make an unpopular decision.
- Please tell me about a time you had to fire a friend.
- Describe a time when you set your sights too high (or too low).
- Describe a work situation in which you had to take a risk. What was the outcome?
- Has anyone ever asked you to do something unethical? What did you do?